Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Body Inspiration

So, the past couple days, I've been having some body envy and spending a lot of time on Tumblr admiring different bodies. I know this sounds strange, but I absolutely love bodies. Different heights, different colors, different builds, muscles, eyes, lips, toes, dimples, belly buttons.. I just love bodies!! Anyway, there's an obvious pattern of "thinspiration" blogs on Tumblr, usually advocating habits and characteristics congruent with those of eating disorders. They constantly post pictures of girls who appear to be little more than a skeleton thinly draped in almost translucent skin. It's pitiful there is such a strong following of people (mostly young women) who have fallen into this curse. And my heart hurts for them.

After hundreds of posts about the beauty of bones and starvation, I came across the alternative. Many girls succumb to this sickness because of a need for control. The woman whose picture I saw must surely exercise a large measure of control over her life, her diet, her body. She looks strong, vibrant, and beautiful, I mean truly gorgeous. In this hurting world of body image, why are these sick, broken bodies being promoted and not bodies of power and strength, healthy bodies? I know the body I am willing to work for. I wish every girl who is a victim of how she perceives herself could feel the same way.

It doesn't seem like a hard choice to me..

0 comments:

Post a Comment